WABDR Conditions

(Washington). Released 2011.
Inna

WABDR Conditions

Post by Inna » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:13 pm

Use this topic to report the latest conditions on the WABDR.

Tom

Re: WABDR Conditions

Post by Tom » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:40 pm

Here's a photo of Liberty Beehive section (by Art Tuftee) which is section 3 (inset 6) on the Butler WABDR Map. It's where the 9712 road slumps every year near the top of the devil's Gulch trail on the east end of 9712 (Beehive end). Art said the road slumped 8 feet down at the Beehive end. He crossed the slump with intend to ride it, but further in, encountered three big slides coming down onto the roadway from above. He heard a motorcycle arrive and depart leading him to believe that FR 9712 is passable from the from Blewett.
BDR-map-9712-road-slide-pic212.jpg
BDR-map-9712-road-slide-pic212.jpg (207.07 KiB) Viewed 2863 times
Here's the general location.
BDR-map-9712-road-slides223.jpg
BDR-map-9712-road-slides223.jpg (217.86 KiB) Viewed 2863 times

JonB

Post by JonB » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:28 pm

Does anyone have a good workaround for this. Me and a couple other guys are supposed to leave Ellensburg on Saturday to head north. It's our first time doing this and we are not familiar with that area. We've got Butler Maps and a Delorme Atlas. Also, can I get a better description of where the slide is located? Is it just north of the Beehive Spring campground where 7100 and 9712 come together? I spoke to 2 different rangers and they told me they were aware of a slide on 9712 "somewhere out there near Beehive"" but they could not provide a workaround. The National Forest web site also shows 9712 is "open" even though they know of the slide. Thanks for any you guys can provide.

Tom

Post by Tom » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:49 pm

JonB wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:28 pm
can I get a better description of where the slide is located? Is it just north of the Beehive Spring campground where 7100 and 9712 come together?
Yes, at the tip of the black arrow on the Butler map inset.
Tom wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:40 pm
It's where the 9712 road slumps every year near the top of the devil's Gulch trail on the east end of 9712 (Beehive end).
Rangers should know this location. It slumps here every year. This year is worse than others, it's 8 feet "down".

There's a decent workaround. You have to turn left off FR 35 onto FR9716 and cross US Hwy97 at Blewett Pass. Cross Hwy97, go down Scotty Creek, and get on US Hwy 97 for a few miles. When you are no longer descending (on the flat a few miles south of the US HWY 97 & Hwy2 intersection), take a left on Mountain Home Road. Go over the hill into Leavenworth. The view of the Leavenworth Valley town is spectacular. Plus you can get supplies at Dan's market (in Leavenworth). Then take US2 east to Cashmere and continue North on the WABDR (up) Nahahum Cyn road. There are some decent (paved) backroads you can use to avoid US 97.

It looks like this. The WABDR route is Blue & Green. The re-route is red.
WABDR Blewett re-route map.jpg
WABDR Blewett re-route map.jpg (85.59 KiB) Viewed 2738 times
There are several different ways to get back to the BDR route. The red route after Leavenworth is Derby Canyon (out of Peshastin) that meets the WABDR near Chumstick peak, an essential viewpoint. Derby is good, but the official Nahahum Canyon route (at Cashmere) is good too.

The BDR organization HAS the tracklog for this, as it was used as an official re-route in 2013 when Mission Creek washed out the "first" time.

The re-route needs to be made available for download ASAP. Time's a tickin' and people are WABDR'n !!
Last edited by Tom on Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tom

Post by Tom » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:00 am

ADVrider member TanukiPDX rode to the slide on FR9712 from the west side.
http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/w ... t-32580890

FR9712fromWest.jpg
FR9712fromWest.jpg (215.71 KiB) Viewed 2559 times
Here's a pic from the West side. Looks daunting.... :shock:
And there may be 2 more slides after this one.

kingttx

Post by kingttx » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:07 am

Thanks for the information and the re-route. We're heading out Monday in two Jeeps.

kingttx

Post by kingttx » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:06 am

We just returned and I have some info:

Highway 20 is currently closed near Loup Loup. Some of the highway eroded away and they are rebuilding several sections. I have no idea how to detour.

There is one pretty big boulder on the road when you just start seeing Lake Chelan from Baldy Mountain. There is room to get around it, but it's right at a corner northbound, so it can be a surprise if a rider comes around the corner too quickly.

Last one, we were told by someone from a logging company that there will be a lot of logging trucks on that steep road (Chopaka Lake Road?) that comes down to Toats Coulee Road near Palmer Lake. They suggest staying on Toats Coulee Road all the way instead of taking that sharp-left turn. Logging traffic will be active for the next four weeks.

Please, please, anyone that knows these roads better, correct the roads.

Tom

Inna

Post by Inna » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:55 pm

The re-route for Section 3 mud slide is available on the BDR website http://ridebdr.com/News/WABDR-Section-3-Re-Route.

We are working on providing a detour for other road closures mentioned above. Stay tuned for more info.

Boulevard_beck

Post by Boulevard_beck » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:23 am

Good timing. I'm riding Section 3 tomorrow. Hopefully the HWY 20 re-route gets posted, otherwise I'll just see where the gps takes me. Cheers.

Tom

Post by Tom » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:01 am

WABDR section 3 (Haney Meadows to Beehive Reservoir) is now passable. See ADVrider http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/w ... t-32804884

This slide is the top pic of previous post.
WABDRsect3slide.jpg
WABDRsect3slide.jpg (198.98 KiB) Viewed 383 times
Heres a pic from ADVrider. What AWESOME work was done! It seems to have been cleared ~july22. I have not heard who did this work but MANY are thankful!