WABDR: Sharing the trail

(Washington). Released 2011.
.Ryan.

WABDR: Sharing the trail

Post by .Ryan. » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:06 am

Hello Folks.... I love the BDR idea and want to play a part in driving, conserving, and sharing the experience.

I will admit that I am the type that likes to have 4 wheels on the ground at any time. So my questions to you.....

Is the BDR more designed for the cycle crowd? Are 4WDs frowned upon on the BDR? Is there a safety concern between heading in opposite directions on the BDR (turning the corner into unexpected bikes)?

Thanks in advance,
Ryan

robd0gg

Re: WABDR: Sharing the trail

Post by robd0gg » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:02 pm

they're all public roads, so I sure have no problem with anyone that wants to ride it with four wheels.. in fact, the original BDR, the Oregon one, was totally conceived, built and funded by 4x4 clubs.. When I rode the OBDR Route 5 in 2005, we only saw a few other vehicles on the entire route over seven days.. two where 4x4's, one was a rancher on a quad... so it's not like there is a lot of traffic and fighting over camp spots.

Inna

Post by Inna » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:55 pm

.Ryan. wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:06 am
Hello Folks.... I love the BDR idea and want to play a part in driving, conserving, and sharing the experience.

I will admit that I am the type that likes to have 4 wheels on the ground at any time. So my questions to you.....

Is the BDR more designed for the cycle crowd? Are 4WDs frowned upon on the BDR? Is there a safety concern between heading in opposite directions on the BDR (turning the corner into unexpected bikes)?

Thanks in advance,
Ryan
For the most part all of BDR routes are doable by 4x4's with adequate tires and clearance. All roads are public roads and exist for all vehicles and riders/drivers to enjoy. The BDR core mission is to serve the dual-sport and adventure motorcycles specifically, so that's what we're focusing on. We know that many 4x4 drivers use our routes, and that's great. Having 4x4's and motorcycles on the same routes, especially if they travel in opposite directions can present additional safety concerns. That's why it's important for all of us to adhere to the safety rules, be vigilant, be respectful, and Stay on the Right side of the road.

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:10 pm

Solid point Inna. Ride Right! Many of the BDR's have blind spots, whether it be a top of the mountain or around a bend.

PeterNuh

WABDR Sharing the trail

Post by PeterNuh » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:05 pm

Thanks to volunteers Cameron, Dave K, Jose and Matt for breaking ground on some quality trail.